|SE Alaska (edit)||C||FC||C||C||-|
|Glacier Bay (edit)||C||C||C||C||-|
|S Outer Islands (edit)|
Herring spawning locations are important stopping locations in Spring , and tens of thousands may be observed at times.
Likewise, in late Summer, males may gather during the molt, and many thousands may be found (e.g., Seymour Canal ).
- Greater abundance in inside waters?
- Greater numbers in Spring rather than Fall?
- Summer birds are non-breeders?
- Breeding confirmed near Yakutat, change regional Breeding status?
- Skagway is only place with R in winter
SEAK QBR Mentions
- Sp2011: Large numbers near JNU including 30,000 on 8-9 May at Eagle Beach and 10,000 Sheep Creek delta on 9 May; At KTN 8100 observed flying north over 4.5 hour period on 1 May.
- Sp2012: Largest concentrations found at herring spawning areas. 6500 near KTN on 22 April; 7500 near JNU on 3 May. These counts did not approach previous high counts at those locations.
- Glacier Bay/Surf Scoter: (edit)
- Haines/Surf Scoter: (edit)
- Juneau/Surf Scoter: (edit)
- Ketchikan/Surf Scoter: (edit)
- Sitka/Surf Scoter: Fairly Common along the road system in migration and through winter. Uncommon during the summer, though Fairly Common in nearshore locations away from town. Apparently less abundant locally in recent years. Easily observed from Totem Park Fall through Spring. (edit)
- Skagway/Surf Scoter: (edit)
- Yakutat/Surf Scoter: (edit)
- All About Birds Page for Surf Scoter
- Search Arctos Database for Surf Scoter (Southeast only)
- Search Arctos Database for Surf Scoter (entire database)
- Encyclopedia of Life search for Melanitta perspicillata
- iNaturalist Observations for Melanitta perspicillata in Southeast Alaska