Strangely enough, this hermit crab is not closely related to any other hermits in our area. Recent genetic studies have shown that the hermit crabs in the family Diogenidae evolved independently of the pagurid hermits. The easiest way to distinguish this from paguroid hermit crabs is to look at the claws. The claws of Paguristes are approximately equal in size and shape, while that of paguroids are asymmetrical with the right usually being much larger and more robust.
- WoRMS Page for Paguristes turgidus
- Search Arctos Database for Paguristes turgidus (Southeast only)
- Search Arctos Database for Paguristes turgidus (entire database)
- Encyclopedia of Life search for Paguristes turgidus
- iNaturalist Observations for Paguristes turgidus in Southeast Alaska