coastrange sculpin (Cottus aleuticus): Expected throughout the region in fresh water as well as estuaries and nearshore marine waters.
Notes on distinguishing from prickly sculpin (Cottus asper)
Lacks distinct spot on back of dorsal fin found in most C. asper. You can count anal fin rays as well, C. asper have 15-19 while C. aleuticus have 12-15.
- FishBase page for Cottus aleuticus
- Search Arctos Database for Cottus aleuticus (Southeast only)
- Search Arctos Database for Cottus aleuticus (entire database)
- Encyclopedia of Life search for Cottus aleuticus
- iNaturalist Observations for Cottus aleuticus in Southeast Alaska