This species can be identified thanks to the organization of its zooids into stars, or circles. each individual has one incurrent siphon, and those tend to be organized in circles.
The colonies are generally rather flat, with few lobes if any. The color varies from almost black to bright yellow. orange is the most common color. Colonies are generally not larger than a few square feet.
- WoRMS Page for Botryllus schlosseri
- Search Arctos Database for Botryllus schlosseri (Southeast only)
- Search Arctos Database for Botryllus schlosseri (entire database)
- Encyclopedia of Life search for Botryllus schlosseri
- iNaturalist Observations for Botryllus schlosseri in Southeast Alaska